Subject: Corrosion

Corrosion

From: Lisa Young <conserveit>
Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2001
I am currently working on space related aluminum alloys (30+ years
of age) which are combined with copper, magnesium, zinc and other
white metals in trace amounts. Recent analysis of the corrosion
forming on the aluminum was identified by SCMRE as cuprous chloride
with some amounts of aluminum oxide in the mix, but primarily it was
copper chloride.  In regards to treatment, I was looking for advice
or experience with adding corrosion inhibitors to either the metal
(after it is cleaned) or the coating.  I was hoping to use
benzotriazole to inhibit the copper from corroding further, but was
not sure if anyone has found this to be harmful to aluminum or other
white metals.

Lisa Young, Conservator
National Air and Space Museum
301-238-3149