Subject: Blanching

Blanching

From: Nina Roth-Wells <backriver>
Date: Thursday, September 27, 2001
I am working on a painting with a stubborn blanching/blooming
problem. Unfortunately it is a very dark painting and the hazy
surface is very distracting.  So far my attempts to remove the
varnish with organic solvents have only made the problem worse.  I
fear that the painting has been treated in the past and has several
layers of different types of varnish.  UV exam indicates natural
resins were used in at least some of the layers.  I would like to
get a more even and clear surface and welcome any tips or advice.

Nina Roth-Wells
Conservation and Restoration of Paintings and Frames
Georgetown Maine

               Distributed: Thursday, September 27, 2001