Subject: Adhesive for wood

Adhesive for wood

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight>
Date: Thursday, September 27, 2001
In Conservation DistList Instance: 15:24 Tuesday, September 18,
2001, Hans Piena asks for suitable adhesives for wood that has been
impregnated with glycerol.

In my opinion, the wood is likely to remain dark, sticky,
hygroscopic and difficult to adhere unless the glycerol is removed.
My guess is that this would best be done by soaking in water,
followed by freeze-drying, but much would depend on the condition of
the wood.

Once the glycerol has been removed, I would recommend a stable and
reversible adhesive such as the ubiquitous Paraloid B72--although
one of the softer and more flexible Paraloids might be more
appropriate, depending on the condition of the wood.

Dr Barry Knight
Senior Conservation Scientist
English Heritage

               Distributed: Thursday, September 27, 2001