Subject: Burton medical lamps

Burton medical lamps

From: Suzanne Hargrove <objcons>
Date: Monday, September 24, 2001
We purchased Burton Medical lamps in the early eighties (ca.
1982-84) as general exam and work lights, "Burton Flexible Arm Light
model 13400 with Fleximount Mounting System".  Recently one of the
internal elbow joints in the lamp arm failed and the arm
spontaneously crashed down.  Fortunately it was not over an art
object or conservator otherwise one or both could have been
seriously damaged.  We have contacted Burton about a replacement
part only to learn they redesigned the lamps and replacement parts
are no longer available. If anyone else has had this type of problem
and has been able to locate or design a replacement part we would
love to hear from you.   Otherwise, anyone owning this model should
keep it out of harms way when using it.

Suzanne Hargrove
Objects Conservation
The Saint Louis Art Museum

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 26, 2001