Subject: Glass window sign

Glass window sign

From: Krista Cooke <museum>
Date: Friday, September 21, 2001
We recently received a glass window sign (ca. 1940s) printed with
black and gold leaf type print.  Much of the gold leaf and some of
the black are peeling and there are severe losses overall.  Every
time the sign is moved or has air stirred above it, the peeling
worsens and small flakes are lost.  It will be a year or more until
the sign can be seen by a conservator.  As a curator, what small
steps towards preventative conservation can I take to protect the
piece. I am concerned about putting any kind of backing onto the
glass for fear of crushing or creating friction against the curled
edges of the text.

Krista Cooke
Curator, Sam Waller Museum

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 26, 2001