Subject: Herbarium materials

Herbarium materials

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2001
Eeva-Maria Tikka <emtikka [at] mappi__helsinki__fi> asks about vacuuming
botanical specimens. My advice here is to acquire a PACE evac-250 or
400.  These units evacuate particulate from surfaces using a variety
of trunks with a number of end pieces to maximize removal for
specialized work places.  The units have a number of filters, one is
an activated charcoal filter and others are specifically designed
for other uses (fumes, welding, etc.).  I understand they are
manufactured in Britain.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service