Subject: Cleaning stone

Cleaning stone

From: Tony Sigel <asigel>
Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2001
In Cons DistList 15:23, Robert Lodge writes:

>For cleaning building or sculpture stone when high pressure water
>alone (hot or cold) is not effective, I recommend the JOS system. In
>skilled hands it can even be safely used to remove dirt from painted
>exterior surfaces.  We use the system for cleaning a variety of
>materials.  Its use is growing in the United States.

What, exactly, is the "JOS" system? Could one of the people who have
mentioned it explain, and in the future could proprietary or trade
name usage be accompanied by a description, list of constituent
materials, etc?

    **** Moderator's comments: I strongly endorse this suggestion.
    Even if a product is well known within a given specialty, please
    remember that there are many specialties and disciplines
    participating in the DistList, and interdisciplinary
    "cross-fertilization" is one of the purposes behind this forum.

Tony Sigel
Harvard University Art Museums
32 Quincy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138