Conservation DistList Archives [Date] [Subject] [Author] [SEARCH]

Subject: Convex glass

Convex glass

From: Alan Derbyshire <aland>
Date: Friday, September 14, 2001
Scott Carroll <scott_carroll [at] eed__state__ak__us> writes

>Does anyone know of a source for (or even the correct name for) a
>large piece of convex glass that fits over a portrait picture?  This
>is the type of glass that fits into an ornate oval frame and usually
>covers a photograph rather than a painting.

There are a couple of small firms in Britain than can make convex
cover glasses for portrait miniatures:

    R.J.W.  Products
    1 Georgian Close
    Kent BR2 7RA
    +44 20 8 462 6466


    P.O. Box 55
    79 Staines Road
    Middlesex TW14 0JU

and in Paris, France

    A. Laurencot
    19, rue des Gravilliers
    75003 Paris

One needs to be careful when ordering cover glasses to specify  the
colour of glass (preferably white), the thickness and the type. Some
lockets require a 'rolled edge' glass i.e. one that is tapered at
the edge ( quite precisely ) so that it fits the locket exactly. For
this type of glass the glass maker normally needs the locket.

Alan Derbyshire
Senior Paper Conservator
Victoria and Albert Museum

                  Conservation DistList Instance 15:24
                Distributed: Tuesday, September 18, 2001
                       Message Id: cdl-15-24-004
Received on Friday, 14 September, 2001

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://