Subject: Cleaning stone

Cleaning stone

From: Robert Lodge <mckaylodge>
Date: Friday, September 7, 2001
Following on the inquiry about cleaning heavily soiled stone from
Paolo Recanati of the Restoration Laboratory, Israel Museum:

Paolo Recanati <consdir [at] imj__org__il> writes

>We are wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions about
>cleaning stone objects (such as marble, basalt, limestone, dolomite,
>travertine or granite sculptures) from sturdy dirt, pollution,
>lichens or other microbiological effects by means of pressurized
>water and/or steam.

For cleaning building or sculpture stone when high pressure water
alone (hot or cold) is not effective, I recommend the JOS system. In
skilled hands it can even be safely used to remove dirt from painted
exterior surfaces.  We use the system for cleaning a variety of
materials.  Its use is growing in the United States.

For information from the German manufacturer see
<URL:http://www.kulba.de/jos.htm>.  For a U.S. supplier see
<URL:http://www.gries-USA.com>.  For a Canadian supplier see
<URL:http://www.jos-quintek.net>.  For an illustration of the
equipment and its use in bronze cleaning and a comparison with the
Boride WIN (water injection) Nozzle, see

    <URL:http://www.mckaylodge.com/tylerdavidson/
    restoration/updates/1_7_00/1_7_00.html>.

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Robert G. Lodge
President
McKay Lodge Fine Arts Conservation Laboratory, Inc.
Oberlin, Ohio

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 11, 2001