Subject: Kodak Professional Duraclear

Kodak Professional Duraclear

From: Martin Juergens <post>
Date: Monday, September 3, 2001
Angeletta Leggio <angeletta.leggio [at] ngv__vic__gov__au> writes

>Does anyone have any suggestions for the use of a generic name to
>describe a photographic image on Kodak Professional Duraclear. The
>curators are keen to use the word digital in the description if
>possible.

If you look at the end product, this material is a chromogenic
emulsion (processed in RA-4 chemistry) on a transparent plastic
(Estar) base. For me, it falls under the category of chromogenic
transparency material. The fact that it has been sensitized for
exposure in a digital laser or LED printer does not really influence
the end result, from the point of view of materials (as far as we
know). In my opinion, the word "digital" would only be of interest
if the manner of production of the print is important, e.g. if the
artist chose to expose the material digitally for a specific reason.
In this case, though, it might be a part of the description of the
artwork rather than a category of materials.

The term "digital" is also part of the brand name of the material
itself (PROFESSIONAL DURACLEAR Plus Digital Display Material, from
Kodak literature), but this technical information is rarely part of
the generic name or description of a work. Instead, it might be
recorded in the curatorial files.

Any other opinions?

Martin Juergens
Photograph Conservator
Kottwitzstr. 13
20253 Hamburg, Germany
+49 160 441 2563

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 5, 2001