Subject: Storing a fibrin bandage

Storing a fibrin bandage

From: Stuart Macdonald Welch <info>
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2001
Alan J. Hawk <hawk [at] afip__osd__mil> writes

>We are interested in collecting a fibrin bandage for the National
>Museum of Health and Medicine.  It is made from human blood proteins
>on a mesh and it is extremely hydroscopic.  It cannot be exposed to
>any moisture or oxygen or it will deteriorate.  We are interested in
>suggestions on materials for a container to store and possibly
>display the artifact over the long term. What plastics or other
>materials have an extremely low transmittibility of moisture?

Mitsubishi Escal and Mitsubishi PTS are made to offer not only a
high oxygen barrier but also a high moisture barrier which is more
difficult to achieve in a transparent film. These products have a
ceramic coating which offers the highest moisture barrier of any
transparent plastic that we know of.
<URL:http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/productlist-oxyfree.html>

Combine this with the Mitsubishi RP System oxygen scavengers,
possibly type A which reduces moisture or type K which is moisture
neutral and should not alter the moisture content of the object and
you should have your transport method. Take care to protect the bag
by placing it in a box. For this purpose Conservation By Design have
produced a flat pack archival box with a transparent polyester
window in the lid. This allows viewing of the object within the
barrier bag whilst protecting the bag from puncture.

Our Window Boxes are available either in standard sizes or as tailor
made Smart Boxes. With regard to the question of light our tests
also show that anoxic storage also helps to prevent damage from UV
light. For long term display we are now able to offer oxygen free
showcases.

Stuart M. Welch
Managing Director
Conservation By Design Limited