Subject: Storing a fibrin bandage

Storing a fibrin bandage

From: Alan J. Hawk <hawk>
Date: Friday, August 24, 2001
We are interested in collecting a fibrin bandage for the National
Museum of Health and Medicine.  It is made from human blood proteins
on a mesh and it is extremely hydroscopic.  It cannot be exposed to
any moisture or oxygen or it will deteriorate.  We are interested in
suggestions on materials for a container to store and possibly
display the artifact over the long term. What plastics or other
materials have an extremely low transmittibility of moisture?

    **** Moderator's comments: Alan Hawk wrote back later to add
    this this note from David Tuthill <tuthilld [at] usa__redcross__org>

        I am not sure that light is a real problem, though moisture
        and oxygen are indeed detrimental for long-term storage.

Alan Hawk
Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine, AFIP
Bldg 54, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington, DC  20306-6000
202-782-2205
Fax: 202-782-3573

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 28, 2001