Subject: Storing oversized photographs

Storing oversized photographs

From: Brenda Bernier <bbernier>
Date: Wednesday, August 22, 2001
Brigit Naef <brigit.naef [at] kunstverpackung__ch> writes

>I am looking for a material to wrap very large photographs (125 x
>125cm) for storage. There is a material called Tyvek and I wonder if
>there is someone who has experience  with this material concerning
>photographs (C-prints), or if anyone has already used it for storing
>photographs?

Tyvek has a definite texture to its surface, so I would not
recommend storing photographs in contact with it.  There is an
unbuffered interleaving tissue called Photo-Tex tissue that is 100%
cotton, has a smooth finish so it won't abrade the surface of the
photographs, does not have a watermark, and has passed the
Photographic Activity Test.  Archivart
(<URL:http://www.archivart.com>) offers it in a roll that is 141 cm
wide.  Perhaps special size orders are available.

Brenda Bernier
Photographic Materials/Paper Conservator
U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
Washington, DC  20024

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 28, 2001