Subject: Flooring

Flooring

From: Carol Clausen <clausenc>
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2001
We are considering replacing a carpet with a wood floor in our
incunabula room--a small and not well-ventilated area that holds our
earliest books and manuscripts.  What materials should be used? I am
assuming that the boards and the glue holding them to the concrete
floor will be sealed by a protective coating, so the coating itself
is the main consideration. Is water-based polyurethane the best
material? What precautions should be taken while it is drying or
off-gassing?

    **** Moderator's comments: This has been discussed before.
    See the DistList archives in Conservation OnLine (CoOL)
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/>

Carol Clausen
National Library of Medicine
Bethesda, MD 20894