Subject: Casein paint

Casein paint

From: Rae Atira-Soncea <rae.atira-soncea>
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2001
I am doing some research on casein/milk paint.  What can anyone tell
me about the archival quality of casein/milk paints?  I work in the
contemporary Public Art Community and we are trying to trouble shot
Conservation issues from the front end, both as a service to artists
(who want to use archival products) and to our constituents.  We
want to avoid problems, not just make repairs...

    *   Are some brands or formulas/compounds better then others?

    *   Are some application methods or grounds better?

    *   Is there a recommended protective coating or varnish?

    *   Should certain types of environments be avoided?

    *   How does casein/milk paints compare archivally to other
        types of paint from a conservationist perspective?

    *   What maintenance methods are recommend for a casein piece to
        help preserve/conserve it.

    *   If someone approached you about preserving or conserving a
        casein piece, what would you do, how would you start?  What
        would be your primary concerns?

Rae Atira-Soncea
Conservation Coordinator
Percent for Art Conservation Initiative