Subject: Labelling

Labelling

From: Dee Stubbs <dstubbs>
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2001
Can anyone comment on their experience using desktop laser printer
toner (such as Hewlett Packard toner # HPC4096A) on rag paper labels
inside fluid preserved specimen jars? Initial experimentation by our
Zoology department looks promising, but we have concerns about the
longevity of the laser inks (toner) in the fluid environment. Our
specimens are prepared by initial curing in Formalin and rinsed in
water, and then stored in either 10% Formalin: 90% water solution,
or in 70% Ethanol: 30% water solution. I have Simmon's article in
SPNCH's "Storage of Natural History Collections", but I am wondering
if more up to date information is available.

Dee Stubbs
Conservator
New Brunswick Museum
277 Douglas Avenue