Subject: Standards for photographs

Standards for photographs

From: Hilda Abreu Utermohlen <hilda>
Date: Friday, August 17, 2001
At my institution they are in the process of acquiring photographs
made by well-known contemporary local photographers, in order to
complete our collection. These artists are willing to comply with
practices/standards that may assure the preservation of their works,
but are not sure what these should be, if any. Some of the questions
that came up during the negotiations are:

    *   Dimensions of the prints. (Someone mentioned that there were
        some formats not accepted in international exhibitions?).

    *   Minimum number of copies from each negative (for rotation
        purposes, maybe?)

    *   Location of the artist's signature: matboard, image?

    *   Optimum recommended photographic paper/processes/studios?

    *   Exhibition standards (duration, intensity of illumination)

Hilda Abreu Utermohlen
Conservation Consultant
Centro Cultural Eduardo Leon Jimenes
Santiago