Subject: Plasti Dip

Plasti Dip

From: Kunane Wooton <kunane>
Date: Saturday, August 11, 2001
I am an exhibits preparator working with the Bishop Museum in
Honolulu. I have just started working in this field very recently.
One of my duties is to fabricate custom mounts for artifacts.  In
doing so I am always curious about new products that may be used as
coating mediums to add diversity to my mounting techniques.  This
quest has led me to inquire if anyone had information about possible
Oddy test results of a commercial rubberizing product called Plasti
Dip <URL:http://www.plastidip.com/>.  It seems that the product
contains very noxious fumes in its semi-liquid form and also
contains very harmful ingredients.  Even though this is the case I
wonder if any testing was done after it has cured, Does it still
expel vapors?  If so, can it be coated with a clear acrylic coating
to seal it off?   The product contains Toluene, Naphtha, Hexane, and
Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

Any information on any testing results will be greatly appreciated.

Kunane Wooton
Exhibits Preparator
Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice Street