Subject: Freeze-drying equipment

Freeze-drying equipment

From: Dee Stubbs <dstubbs>
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2001
The following query was posted on NHCOLL-L and is reproduced here
without the knowledge or consent of the author.

    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to sender and
    if of general interest post it here as well

    Tuesday, August 07, 2001
    To: 'NH Collection List Server'
    Subject: Freeze Dryer Pump Questions

    Anyone out there using a Northstar Freeze Dryer ?

    We have one that we purchased in 1984.  In the last several
    years the vacuum pump has been going.  Now it is for all
    practical purposes gone.  Parts are no longer available.  The
    same pump is no longer available.  Pumps we have seen in
    catalogs range from $2,000 to $5,000.  I am trying to reach the
    rep. from the pump company--but would like some input from a
    "neutral" source in addition to the pump manufacturer.  If a
    $2,000 pump works--no need to buy a $5,000.  On the other
    hand..... Of course, for those that don't know--Northstar has
    been out of business for several years, so I cannot get specs
    from them as to what works with their machine.

    The vacuum pump is a Leybold Co. Trivac, Dual-stage rotary vane
    pump,  model D30A.  According to Northstar spec, it should run
    the system at 200 microns of pressure.  Our Northstar unit is
    model L-3666 which has a specimen chamber  roughly 3 feet
    diameter by 5 feet long, and a condensing chamber (not measured)
    about 10 inches x 30 inches long.

    If any of you can recommend a source of a compatible new vacuum
    pump, and help me determine what is compatible, it would be
    deeply appreciated.

    Robert C. Glotzhober
    Curator of Natural History
    Ohio Historical Society