Subject: Conservation facilities and the public

Conservation facilities and the public

From: Fern Bleckner <blecknerf>
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2001
The following is posted on behalf of Claire Larkin, Senior Designer
for SAAM.

    The Smithsonian American Art Museum and the National Portrait
    Gallery currently are closed to the public while their building
    undergoes major renovation.  The existing fine art conservation
    lab will be relocated and upgraded as part of the project.  When
    the building reopens, the public will be able to get a "behind
    the scenes" look at all aspects of work that is routinely
    performed in a paintings', paper and objects' conservation lab.

    We believe we will be the first conservation lab where
    activities are visible daily, not just for a "special project."
    If there are other examples of visible conservation labs already
    in operation, we would like to hear about your first-hand
    knowledge, particularly with the rationale for their creation
    and how the public responded to the experience.  Your input will
    be greatly appreciated.

Fern Bleckner
Paper Conservator
Smithsonian American Art Museum