Subject: Adhesives

Adhesives

From: Peter N. Krantz <bkfndrs>
Date: Monday, August 6, 2001
Here in Australia, we are in the process of commissioning an
adhesives chemist to produce a water-reversible, buffered,  EVA
(ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer), for use by bookbinders and
conservators alike, similar to the proprietary products offered in
the USA and the UK. Our own research has showed us that EVA is
superior to PVA for various reasons, one important reason being that
significantly less acetic acid is formed whilst not in use.

Approaching various parties involved in conservation products here,
we have been receiving feedback that some conservators in Australia
are not sufficiently knowledgeable about EVA to feel confident about
moving across from the traditional PVA.

Do any DistList participants know of any reliable studies which
prove the efficacy of EVA over PVA?

We should appreciate if the List might indicate to us some
references, and/or advise us as to the comparisons between the use
of these two resins in the conservation field.

Peter Krantz
Book Restorations
34 Clanville Road
Roseville, N.S.W. 2069