Subject: Consolidation

Consolidation

From: Rebecca Kench <rebecca.kench>
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2001
I am writing in with a consolidation problem.  We have acquired a
Cecil Collins painting, executed in 1934.  The painting is oil on
canvas with a brown aqueous toning layer; this layer is original and
very soluble in water, plus a broken up thin layer of varnish over
some areas.  White spirit and xylene do not affect the layers.  The
paint has many friable areas, and bad adhesion in places between the
top paint layer and the artists' ground.

The most friable areas are in the white, matte paint passages.  The
surface is such that clearing with a swab is not an option.  The
consolidant therefore needs to leave a matte finish, not need to be
cleared, be solvent based and consolidate effectively.

So far the most effective consolidant is Paraloid in Shellsol A, but
to adhere the flakes successfully this needs to be applied in two
coats at 5% each.  This percentage does leave a slight and uneven
sheen on the surface. Wetting out the surface first helps the
adhesion.  I have also tried Klucel in IMS at 0.5%, and this leaves
a shiny ring, plus does not adhere well enough.  I would be grateful
if anyone has any suggestions.

Rebecca Kench, Paintings Intern
The Conservation Centre
National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside,
Liverpool, UK

                 Distributed: Wednesday, August 8, 2001