Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Cindy Ramotnik <ramotnik>
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2001
I am posting the following inquiry on behalf of a colleague who does
not have access to the listserv:

    I have some wooden masks and leather goods (bags mostly, but
    also parts of masks) which, due to unusually high humidity, have
    developed extensive mold throughout their surfaces.  Would you
    happen to be aware of relatively innocuous, conservation
    friendly (vis-a-vis the leather especially) ways of dealing with
    the problem?  Usually, I just douse the material with alcohol,
    but I don't think that would be good for the leather, although
    the wood might resist all right.

Cindy Ramotnik
USGS-Natural History Collection Manager
Museum of Southwestern Biology