Subject: Call for papers--AIC Objects Specialty Group

Call for papers--AIC Objects Specialty Group

From: Pat Griffin <griffin>
Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2001
The 2002 AIC Annual Meeting in Miami, Florida (June 6-11, 2002)
should provide a lot of excitement for objects conservators
everywhere- in addition to sun and salsa we can all look forward to
three scintillating topics!  We hope to explore the following two
topics in the Objects Specialty Group Session:

1.  The Conservator as Connoisseur, Scholar, Detective.

    Through this topic we hope to illustrate the ways that
    conservators make important contributions to the body of
    information available towards the study of art and historic
    objects, augmenting the disciplines of art history, archaeology,
    material culture and/or museum studies.  These contributions can
    be developed through careful looking (conservation
    connoisseurship), technical study and/or treatment.

2.  Considerations of surface and aesthetics in the Treatment of
    Outdoor sculpture and monuments.

    This topic was conceived both to dovetail with the theme of the
    general session and to provide a venue for presentation and
    discussion of current hands-on practices.  Some of the more
    interesting long-term discussions on the OSG-list have revolved
    around the treatment of outdoor sculpture.  Presentations can
    include treatment case studies- including identifying the
    original aesthetics, and the thought process used to develop the
    aesthetic choices made during treatment- or the evaluation of
    materials or techniques used for cleaning, patination, coating,
    and painting.

Anyone interested in developing a paper on one of these themes can
contact Patricia Griffin (OSG Program Chair), Cleveland Museum of
Art for more information.  Please send a succinct and informative
abstract of no more than 300 words by November 5, 2001 to Griffin at
the following address:

    Patricia Griffin
    Cleveland Museum of Art
    11150 East Blvd.