Subject: Labelling

Labelling

From: Kory Berrett <kory>
Date: Friday, July 13, 2001
Juliette Rogers <juliette [at] nii__net> writes

>I purchased a Pigma Micron pen for labelling between B-72 layers on
>solid collections pieces, but the B-72 top coat washes it clean
>away.  (I note it also washes away with a water-dampened cotton bud,
>so so much for "waterproof!")  Does anyone have a preferred ink for
>use with nibbed pens that can hold up to a camelhair brush with
>acetone-diluted B-72?

A few years ago we were working on a base-line collections
management project (first ones in to inventory, number, and provide
basic cleaning) and did some testing of various labelling media.  We
tested the more popular white paint "patch" coats, three different
pens, and two transparent coatings, to see what was low-toxicity,
fast drying, light fast, and smear proof.  We found the following
combination worked best: Golden PVA white paint in acetone as the
base coat; Identa-pen as the marking medium; and Liquitex Soluvar
gloss coat in mineral spirits as the top coat.  All the others
either bled, faded, smeared, or took too long to dry.  Of course,
since we're talking about proprietary materials here, you should
test this yourself and make sure the current versions of these
products perform just as well.  Good luck.

Kory Berrett
Berrett Conservation Studio
Oxford, PA  610-932-2425

                   Distributed: Friday, July 13, 2001