Subject: Coptic textiles

Coptic textiles

From: Mary Gissing <maryg>
Date: Friday, July 13, 2001
coptic textiles, there are a number of relevant articles including:

    McCintock, Cathy, (1990) "A Method of Mounting and Storing an
    Archaeological Textile." in Archaeological Textiles UKIC
    Occasional Papers No 10. pp 59-62.

    Peacock, Elizabeth and Elizabeth Griffin(1998) " Rehousing a
    collection of Archaeological Textiles" in The Conservator Number
    22 pp 68 - 80.

    Morrison, Lynn (1987)"The treatment, mounting and storage of a
    large group of archaeological textile fragments." in ICOM
    Meeting Preprints Vol. 1. pp 391-395.

    Piechota, Dennis (1978)"Storage containerisation: archaeological
    textile collections." in Journal of the American Institute for
    Conservation 18. pp 10-18

As you are probably aware there is a debate regarding pressure
mounting archaeological textiles. When we investigated mounting
archaeological textile fragments (Peruvian and Coptic)in the
Powerhouse Museum collection for storage, study and display purposes
in the early 1990's we employed a modified version of the technique
suggested by Piechota.

Mary Gissing
Conservator
Powerhouse Museum