Subject: Pencil marks and encapsulation

Pencil marks and encapsulation

From: Michael Miller <mmiller>
Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2001
In the near future, we will be preserving and digitizing a set of
block/plat map books as part of a state grant. Most of these maps
include extensive pencil notations which provide a unique look at
the real estate development for the area. The grantwriter (not me)
had planned, as part of the project, to encapsulate all of the
individual map sheets. I had expressed my concerns that the
polyester film could "lift" the pencil markings from the maps, thus
losing all that history. I have now been tasked with finding some
method or magic "product" that would protect the pencil notations
from the static of the polyester film. Does anyone have any
suggestions? I suggested storing the sheets in individual folders or
in a box, but the project director is hoping/pushing for
encapsulation. Any assistance is appreciated.

Michael C. Miller
Special Collections Librarian
Dallas Public Library, Texas/Dallas History and Archives
1515 Young St.
Dallas TX 75201

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 12, 2001