Subject: Natural rubber

Natural rubber

From: Maria Agnese <agnese.maria>
Date: Tuesday, July 10, 2001
I'm interested in conservation and restoration of objects made by
natural rubber. Particularly, I'm dealing with contemporary latex
masks, and I would like to gain some information about this
material. I could already read some articles enclosed in the book
"Saving the twentieth century", and I should be really grateful if
someone could indicate to me any other works about this subject.

I would like to know, if it is possible, the reason for which the
latex (filled and coloured inside--it is pink) becomes sticky in
certain spots and if it is possible to solve this problem. Is it
possible that a film of paint (I don't know what is the medium of
the paint) laid on the surface can worsen the situation, making the
latex stickier? The situation could became worse because the mask
has been hanged on a nail? Finally, I would like to know if there is
a spray or something else able to protect latex from the aging
caused by oxygen and UV. I thank very much in advance who can give
me some information.

Maria Agnese

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 12, 2001