Subject: Crayon on paper

Crayon on paper

From: Stephen Todd <stephen.todd>
Date: Monday, July 9, 2001
Audrie Schell <schellaj [at] mcmaster__ca> writes

>Recently I received a children's book published in 1925. The
>textblock is of coated, wove paper and several leaves exhibit
>scribbles of purple wax crayon. Someone was having fun!  I would
>like to know if there is any way this media can be removed.

I recently visited the new Manchester UK exhibition of work by local
`primitive' L.S. Lowry. One of his pencil sketches had shown signs
of a child's scribble which had been successfully removed but had
left indentation marks. My view, for what it is worth, was one of
disappointment that the scribble had been removed, since it only
added to the historical trail of the image. I should add that
perhaps the conservator had compromised by leaving the indentations.

In case the museum is not on this list here is their web site URL
should you wish to contact them <URL:http://www.salfordmuseum.org/>

Stephen Todd
Moderator `frameconnews'

                   Distributed: Monday, July 9, 2001