Subject: Laser printers and ozone

Laser printers and ozone

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora>
Date: Sunday, July 8, 2001
Heather Place <conservator [at] wag__mb__ca> writes

>We are currently looking to purchase a printer for our vault
>technician to use while working in our main vault. There has been a
>concern raised regarding the off-gassing of ozone from a laser
>printer and its effect on nearby works of art.

Actually Air Quality Science (<URL:http://www.aqs.com>) in Atlanta,
Georgia has conducted emission tests for various printers,
photocopiers, and computers. They report that the typical emissions
from a printer are 27.5 mg/hr total VOCs, 1.4 mg/hr particles, and
0.5 mg/hr ozone. The VOCs may include styrene, ethylbenzene,
alcohols, and formaldehyde. Particles, I'd guess, would include
paper and toner.

For those perhaps wondering how photocopiers compare: typical
emissions are 37.4 mg/hr for VOCs, 1.6 mg/hr for particles, and 4.3
mg/hr for ozone. The VOCs are reported to include the same range as
copiers.

AQS suggests that companies seek manufacturers who test their
equipment to meet either the emissions criteria of Germany's Blue
Angel Program and/or the US's AQSpec (TM) List Program. In fact, if
a product is listed on the AQSpec (TM) list, then it meets the
criteria of the Blue Angel program, the State of Washington, the
World Health Organization, US EPA, and OSHA. While this doesn't
eliminate problems, it perhaps offers a place to begin further
research. Perhaps a good beginning would be to contact the specific
manufacturer and obtain information on emissions testing of the
specific model being considered?

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.