Subject: Pest management

Pest management

From: Adrienne F. King <afebk>
Date: Thursday, July 5, 2001
I have an archive of paper documents (about 50,000 pages), which I
want to send to our University library for long-term storage.  I've
found some silverfish in the files, however.  The archives
department told me that I need to either freeze my documents or put
them in a vacuum chamber before the library will accept them.  As a
small institute, I know we cannot afford either of these processes
commercially.  However, our physics department has some mechanical
vacuum pumps available, and has offered to help set up a vacuum
chamber for us.  Can anyone tell me if this type of set-up seems
viable?  Has anyone set up a system like this before?

Adrienne F. King
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Visual Arts
University of North Texas