Subject: Twentieth century furniture research group

Twentieth century furniture research group

From: Jake Kaner <jake.kaner>
Date: Wednesday, July 4, 2001
We have recently started a twentieth century furniture research group
in High Wycombe, UK a traditional furniture manufacturing town, in
the department of furniture at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University
College. Where for the past 100 years we have been running training
programmes for the furniture industry. In the more recent past (30
years) we have been running undergraduate and post graduate degrees
relating to furniture studies. We have just finished our ten year
anniversary for our courses in furniture conservation and
restoration.

Prof. Jake Kaner is leading this research group, where we are
investigating treatments for the conservation of twentieth century
furniture. Recent completed projects include a Rhulman desk, a
Breuer chair and a Moser chair. We are currently engaged in
materials testing for casein formaldehyde inlays found in CR
Mackintosh furniture.

As part of the groups activities we are able to offer a bursaried
PhD studentship which is to commence in October 2001. This is
offered for a topic within twentieth century furniture conservation,
history or technology. Interested candidates should contact the
address given below.

We are currently looking for interest from within the conservation
and curatorial sectors for external membership of the group. This
membership will, at first, just mean being mailed on a regular basis
receiving information about the progress and activities of the
group. We will be holding a conference in 2002 and we will be
putting a call for papers out later in the year.

Perhaps you have conserved a piece of twentieth century furniture or
you have some that needs conserving in your collection. So if you
are interested or feel that you have something to offer, then please
mail us your details and we will register you for mailing.

    Prof. Jake kaner
    Twentieth century furniture research group
    Department of furniture
    Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College
    Queen Alexandra road
    High Wycombe
    Bucks HP11 2JZ
    UK