Subject: Academic programs in conservation

Academic programs in conservation

From: Christopher Weeks <head>
Date: Friday, June 29, 2001
Conservation Studies BA, Post Graduate Diploma in Conservation,
City and Guilds of London Art School

The City and Guilds of London Art School are currently seeking
applications to the Conservation Studies BA (Hons) and Post Graduate
Diploma in Conservation courses for the academic year 2001/ 2002.

The courses centre on the conservation of objects made from wood,
stone and other sculptural materials, and gilded and painted
decoration.  We are uniquely placed to provide students with the
skills essential in developing the aesthetic awareness necessary for
the practice of conservation. These are integrated with appropriate
technical skills and theoretical knowledge.

The BA (Hons) course is a three-year, full-time course leading to a
degree validated by the University of Central England, Birmingham.
The course provides students with the necessary skills and knowledge
to enable them to gain employment in an institution such as a
museum, or in a private-sector workshop, and to build a future
career in conservation or related areas.

The duration of the Post Graduate Diploma is variable from one to
two years, and the programme of study would generally be constructed
to suit your requirements.  All students are offered the opportunity
to spend a period working as an intern in one of the major museums
with which we maintain strong links (many of our alumni are employed
in their conservation departments, for example).

If you choose to study at the City and Guilds of London Art School,
you will be able to take advantage of our very low staff-student
ratios (typically one to eight) and warm, friendly learning
environment.  The art school itself is small and provides a very
stimulating and creative context within which to learn about the
conservation of sculpture and decorative art.  Above all, we pride
ourselves on the excellence of our teaching staff, all of whom are
actively practising professionals in their chosen field.  The craft
skills you will learn with us are recognised within the profession
as second to none.

For further details, please visit
<URL:http://www.cityandguildsartschool.ac.uk/conservation/Cons.htm>

Christopher Weeks