Subject: Erasers

Erasers

From: William Minter <wmntr>
Date: Friday, June 29, 2001
Shelagh Linklater <slinklater [at] gov__mb__ca> writes

>We would like to know other conservators' experiences with grinding
>their own crumbled erasers.  Is there a grinder on the market that
>works well with erasers?  Did you find that metal filings were left
>behind in the eraser crumbs? Is this approach considered more
>economical even with the additional labour required?

We have been grinding Staedtler Mars and Magic Rub erasers with the
Italian 'FIMAR Cheese Grater' since 1993. This machine was
recommended by Elizabeth Morse from Harvard at the AIC Book and
Paper Group Annual Meeting. In order to obtain the best results, we
have modified the machine in a number of ways. The resulting crumbs
are sifted to four different size crumbs, but some pieces have to be
reground because they are too large. We package the crumbs in 1/2
lb. bags. For more information, please contact Bill Minter at:

William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045