Subject: Cyclododecane

Cyclododecane

From: Arlen Heginbotham <aheginbotham>
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2001
We are considering using cyclododecane as a temporary consolidant
for flaking gilding and paint on a very large retablo which is going
to be deinstalled and moved to a new site for treatment.  Due to
time limitations, it is not possible to treat the retablo prior to
deinstallation. We would be interested in hearing from anyone with
experience using cyclododecane on a large scale, particularly on
gilding, and particularly regarding the pros and cons of spray
application vs. melt application.  Any tips on the best solvents to
use for spraying, practical considerations when working with large
amounts of melted material, or other concerns or encouragement would
be appreciated.

Arlen Heginbotham
Assistant Conservator
Decorative Arts and Sculpture