Subject: DuPont Mylar Type D

DuPont Mylar Type D

From: William Minter <wmntr>
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2001
In a personal message dated, Artframeit writes:

>I read your post on the Cons DistList about DuPont planning to
>discontinue Mylar-D later this year.  Are you sure it will happen?
>... So, your news about Mylar-D's discontinuation has me concerned.
>I would appreciate any information you have about possible
>replacement films, and how they compare to the high clarity and
>exceptional chemical stability of Mylar-D.

Apparently Mylar Type D was developed for the Graphic Arts industry
and their need has dwindled because of the use of computers. You can
call Bob Reeks at DuPont, phone 800-635-4639 for further
clarification. I was told that production would be discontinued in
September.

For many years, we have been using ICI Melinex Type 516 which,
according to everyone, is identical to Mylar D--it is equally clear
and chemically stable. Now that DuPont owns the Melinex name, they
are recommending Type 516 as a replacement for Mylar D. However,
DuPont and Mr. Reeks is also recommending Melinex Type 456. It has a
slightly different polymer base, but, according to them, it is
designed to be ultrasonically welded (which is of interest to me).

I will try to do some more research on this and keep you posted.

Bill Minter
William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045