Subject: Erasers

Erasers

From: Eliza Gilligan <gilliga7>
Date: Monday, June 25, 2001
Shelagh Linklater <slinklater [at] gov__mb__ca> writes

>We would like to know other conservators' experiences with grinding
>their own crumbled erasers.  Is there a grinder on the market that
>works well with erasers?  Did you find that metal filings were left
>behind in the eraser crumbs? Is this approach considered more
>economical even with the additional labour required?

I recommend that you take a look at the "Gonzo Wonder Sponge"
<URL:http://www.gonzocorp.com/homeprod.htm>

It is a dry, small pore, rubber sponge which is extremely effective
at lifting surface dirt without abrading the given substrate.  The
sponges are fairly large so you can cover quite a bit of surface
area but you can also cut them up if you need a particular shape to
reach a corner or work on a small area.  I have used it for dry
cleaning of both flat paper and books that were dusty, sooty, etc.
The company suggests that you wash the sponge when it gets dirty,
but I just cut off the dirty portions as needed.

Eliza Gilligan
Collections Conservator
Michigan State University Libraries
100 Main Library