Subject: Erasers

Erasers

From: Shelagh Linklater <slinklater>
Date: Thursday, June 21, 2001
Preservation Services at the Provincial Archives of Manitoba will be
treating a large quantity of maps and plans this fiscal year.
Currently we purchase Staedtler white vinyl eraser already ground
but the costs associated with dry cleaning a large number of items
will be quite high. We're considering any appropriate alternatives.
We would like to know other conservators' experiences with grinding
their own crumbled erasers.  Is there a grinder on the market that
works well with erasers?  Did you find that metal filings were left
behind in the eraser crumbs? Is this approach considered more
economical even with the additional labour required?

We have also been considering electric erasers and would like to
hear conservators' experiences with this tool, specifically its
range of applicability and any recommended brand names. Thank you,

Shelagh Linklater
Provincial Archives of Manitoba
200 Vaughan Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 1T5