Subject: DuPont Mylar Type D

DuPont Mylar Type D

From: William Minter <wmntr>
Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2001
Polyester Film for Encapsulation has been going through some major
changes within the past few years. A few years ago the ICI Melinex
line of film was purchased by the DuPont Corporation. I thought that
the Melinex line would be dropped. However, Melinex Type 516 has
lived on at DuPont. Now, there is new information from DuPont, that
Mylar Type D will be discontinued as of September 2001. Mylar Type D
had been developed for the Graphic Arts Industry. They are now using
computers for most of their work so there is little call for Mylar
D.

According to DuPont, converters/our suppliers have been alerted to
the discontinuation of Mylar D and they have "developed a game
plan". Melinex Type 516 and another similar film, 456, should be
readily available for use in preservation. Those of you who use
DuPont Mylar Type D should contact your supplier for new
information.

I will try to gather more information as it comes available.

Bill Minter
William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045