Subject: X-ray radiography

X-ray radiography

From: Tom Dixon <tom.dixon>
Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2001
We finally got an x-ray unit we are happy with for radiography of
paintings and a wide range of other art gallery items. We wound up
with an Andrex CP 190 constant potential unit with 10-160 kV.   Now
we are trying to sort out the processing issues.  If we use
industrial film, which requires about 10 minute processing, the cost
of a desk top automatic processor more than triple the cost of a
processor for mammography film which requires about 2 minute
processing.  We have in the past used mammography film but because
of other compromises, I'm can't vouch for the quality of the image.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether mammography film will give
us detail and contrast comparable to industrial film?  If so, we
would opt for a medical desk top processor.  If not, we will
probably have to hand process until we can locate a used NDT unit,
which could take a long time.

Thomas Dixon
Chief Conservator
National Gallery of Victoria