Subject: Labels

Labels

From: Scott Nolley <snolley>
Date: Friday, June 15, 2001
Hilary A. Kaplan <hkaplan [at] sos__state__ga__us> writes

>We are interested in acquiring information about adhesive labels for
>the exterior of boxes housing paper records.  Data on specific
>labels for 1) general purposes: measuring approximately 3 x 3 inches
>as well as those for 2) barcodes: a somewhat more diminutive
>dimension is anticipated, would be greatly appreciated, along with
>testing protocols that led to your decision to select particular
>labels.

Some time ago we went in search of labels to fulfill similar
criteria.  What we finally decided on, and are still quite satisfied
with, are labels manufactured by

    Computer Imprintable Label Systems
    100 Cummings Center-465E
    Beverly, Massachusetts 01915-6143
    978-921-8877
    <URL:http://www.cils-labels.com>

This company manufactures a variety of products but the ones we
found most appealing and appropriate for our use are fabricated from
a white polyester, have a range of available adhesives from
temporary to permanent (all acrylic and, to date, no noticeable
"creep" factor), and come with the software template for computer
printing.  They also custom manufacture labels on a variety of
paper, polyester, "metallized" polyester supports and will custom
match dimensions, adhesives, colors, and transparent or opaque
support material to your specifications.  They also have the
capability of working with serial bar-coding systems--you imprint
the code or they do it in advance--and labels can be ordered with UV
protection, solvent resistant surfaces (yes, still computer
printable)and are rated for performance according to temperature
extremes...  call and order a sample pack.  That in itself is a
rather edifying, if not mind numbing, journey into what is possible
in a label.  Hope this helps,

Scott W. Nolley
Paintings and Objects Conservation
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation