Subject: X-ray units

X-ray units

From: Robert Portillo <robertoportillo>
Date: Sunday, June 17, 2001
Jo Atkinson <jo.atkinson [at] archaeology__usyd__edu__au> writes

>The Nicholson Museum at Sydney University has received a grant to
>purchase an X-ray unit.  The objects within the collection are
>archaeological--ceramics, stone, glass, bronze, iron and organics.
>We have been looking at purchasing an Imaging Intensifier--which is
>expensive, but very neat in terms of the image output (removing the
>need to process the film) and ease and safety of operation.  We are
>still concerned that we may not be able to get the range of kV
>necessary to examine such a wide range of materials.  We would
>appreciate hearing from anyone with any hints or experience in using
>and/or purchasing an X-ray unit for use on such a collection.

During preliminary nondestructive examination of the UCLA Lachmann
Collection, UCLA's Department of Radiology loaned me "film"
equipment. Even so, you might be interested to know that the
following radiography technique works well for stringed musical
instruments: AP (anterior/posterior): 41KVP (kilovolt peak) @ 12
mas, ASA 100 extremity film @ 46"; Lateral X-Ray: 43KVP @ 15 mas,
100 extremity film @ 46"

Robert Portillo