Subject: Asbestos

Asbestos

From: Dee Stubbs <dstubbs>
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2001
A metal lined fishing basket in our collection bears a striking
resemblance to the "Hawkeye Refrigerator Basket" illustrated in a
contemporary sporting goods catalogue (1910). The description in the
catalogue indicates that the basket is lined with "non-rust metal
asbestos". In our example, the metal lining is coated with a layer
of paint which is now crazed and deteriorating, with about 75%
surface loss. We are wondering what precautions are recommended for
care and handling of this artifact, to what degree there may be
health and safety concerns for collections handling staff, and if it
is possible to seal the metal and paint with a consolidant to reduce
any risk and stabilize the paint layer.

Dee Stubbs
Conservator
New Brunswick Museum