Subject: Labels

Labels

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <hkaplan>
Date: Monday, June 11, 2001
We are interested in acquiring information about adhesive labels for
the exterior of boxes housing paper records.  Data on specific
labels for 1) general purposes: measuring approximately 3 x 3 inches
as well as those for 2) barcodes: a somewhat more diminutive
dimension is anticipated, would be greatly appreciated, along with
testing protocols that led to your decision to select particular
labels.

While conventional wisdom points to foil-backed labels (the foil
backing may do a better job of blocking access to the adhesive,
resulting in its slower oxidation and longer adhesion) Cathy Hawks
tells me she has witnessed the paper (containing the information)
sliding off the foil when in contact with water.

While we do not intend to rely solely on the adhesion of labels
(boxes will also be marked manually), it is possible that nearly
80,000 boxes will receive some type of label in the coming months.
We would therefore, benefit from any reliable, up-to-date
information you might share.

Hilary A. Kaplan
Conservator
Georgia Department of Archives and History
330 Capitol Avenue, SE
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-3554
Fax: 404-651-8471