Subject: Egyptian coffins

Egyptian coffins

From: Carolyn Collins <ccollins_us>
Date: Thursday, June 7, 2001
I am researching the manufacture and conservation of an ancient
Egyptian coffin coated in a black substance. Analysis of it has not
come back yet but it is  likely a resin, pitch, or possibly bitumen.

I am interested  in hearing from those of you who have worked on
these types of coffins. What kind of issues, analytical information,
and treatment outcomes have you encountered?

Carolyn Collins

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 14, 2001