Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Rab Jackson <pr258rj>
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2001
Sue Gatenby <sueg [at] phm__gov__au> writes

>I am trying to plan a mould reduction programme for a large storage
>area with mould outbreak. I want to consider the use of UV light
>(200-300nm) combined with Bactigas treatment (tea tree oil active
>component) to reduce the air sopra and surface mould while a clean
>up is undertaken and environmental conditions are up-graded and
>improved.

Mould infestation in storage buildings is attributed to changes in
the built environment.  The main environmental parameters affecting
the decay of materials are water, humidity, temperature and lack of
ventilation.  The causes of mould infestation are influenced by the
internal building environment, which has a varied microclimate
depending upon building structure and envelope of the internal
building fabric (Building Mycology, Management of decay and health
in Buildings, by Dr J Singh, Published by Chapman and Hall, London
ISBE 0-419-19020-1).

A thorough understanding of the interactions of the building
environments with their materials, structures and contents are
essential before embarking on the remedial control strategies.

At NLS we experienced disturbing mould growth on one of our stack
floors and called upon the services of a mycologist to analyse the
problem.

In our experience at NLS in collaboration with Dr Singh of
Environmental Building Solutions Ltd, (env [at] ebssurvey__co__uk
<mailto:env [at] ebssurvey__co__uk>, <URL:http://www.ebssurvey.co.uk>
<URL:http://www.ebssurvey.co.uk>) we managed to control the
infestation by controlling the causes of the problem rather than
treating the symptoms.

It is vital to understand that if the building defects repairs are
thoughtfully and competently carried out, the life of the structure
and contents may be extended.  However, until the drying out of the
building fabric and its associated materials and structures is
completed, any other actions to remedy fungal infestation will be
ineffective and a waste of time and resources.

UV and Bactigas treatment to reduce the mycoflora in our view is not
necessary and this may cause a range of health and safety
implications, can also cause health problems to the occupants of the
building and may have deleterious effects on the collections.

It is also important to understand that UV can also cause mutation
in microorganisms, and thus can lead to the development of super
moulds, which may not be controlled with traditional mouldicides
etc.

We conclude that there is no quick fix solution to the mould
problems in storage collections it is important to understand the
building biology, ecology and mycology with an multidisciplinary
understanding of the interactions of the building materials with
their environments, structures and contents It is important to
monitor the building environments over a long period

A thorough understanding of the above will allow you to develop long
term holistic, environmentally sustainable solutions to the mould
infestations as we did at NLS.

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to
contact either Dr Singh or myself.

R Jackson, Head of Preservation,  National Library of Scotland
Dr J Singh, Environmental Building Solutions

Mr R Jackson
Head of Preservation
National Library of Scotland
+44 131 226 4531 ext.4201