Subject: ALCTS/PARS Reformatting Discussion Group

ALCTS/PARS Reformatting Discussion Group

From: Walter Cybulski <cybulskw>
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2001
Once and Future Microfilm, Newspapers and Double Fold

ALCTS/PARS Reformatting (Analog/Digital) Discussion Group on Sunday,
June 17th, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Pan-Pacific Hotel,
Olympic A.

This will be a two -part Discussion Group

Part 1.  Continuous Tones and Colors.

    Rumors of the demise of microfilm are exaggerated.  In reality,
    its future couldn't look more photogenic or rosier. After a few
    concluding introductory remarks gleaned from the vast universe
    of print we are trying to preserve, I'll be talking about the
    National Library of Medicine's use of continuous tone and color
    microfilm.  With Carmen Howard (Preservation Resources) on hand
    to assist with questions, I will discuss NLM's selection
    criteria, filming specifications and quality control.

Part 2.  Once Folded, Twice Fooled?

    Rumors of the wholesale discarding of newspapers that have been
    microfilmed are likewise exaggerated.  Bob Dowd (New York State
    Newspaper Project) will be on hand to say a few words about how
    filming work is going in the Empire State, with emphasis on the
    condition of materials being filmed and the disposition of
    issues after filming.  Following Bob's comments, there will be
    open discussion of Nicholson Baker's "Double Fold."

For additional information contact:
Walter Cybulski, Moderator <walter_cybulski [at] nlm__nih__gov>

                 Distributed: Wednesday, June 13, 2001