Subject: Iron gall ink

Iron gall ink

From: Deborah Rohan <deborah.rohan>
Date: Thursday, May 31, 2001
I'm considering treating some 17th C. papers written in iron gall
ink, because the paper has been badly mould-damaged and cannot be
used; but I want to minimise the migration of Iron II ions to the
rest of the paper. I know that a 'dryish' alcohol:water mixture can
help. I'd be interested in any other suggestions, particularly any
information on the boiling water technique. The web site devoted to
iron gall ink suggests that this procedure is well known and used in
Scandinavia and other parts of Europe; can anyone provide me with
references to any articles that describe this technique? Or, failing
that, a note of how well it has worked in their experience, and, if
it has proven useful, exactly how to proceed, and what to look out
for?

                  Distributed: Wednesday, June 6, 2001