Subject: Chinese lacquer

Chinese lacquer

From: Paul Harrison <paulehar>
Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2001
Yesterday, I X-rayed a Sung Dynasty (960-1279 AD) red and black
lacquered bowl. The result was very interesting, it appears that the
inside is made of two types of wood: most of the bowl is a not so
dense wood; the rim, just a centimetre or so, however is made of a
much denser wood and the image is twice as opaque despite being half
a millimetre thinner. Nothing at all of this is noticeable from the
outside. I cannot do destructive testing; the artefact does not
belong to the museum. Has anyone else noticed this or can shed more
light on it?

Paul Harrison
Metal Conservator, Hong Kong Govt

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 24, 2001