Subject: Sidney Williston Memorial Fund

Sidney Williston Memorial Fund

From: Jayne Holt <holt.jayne>
Date: Monday, May 21, 2001
Sidney S. Williston died last December in Washington, DC, at the age
of 87.  Sid became involved in conservation after a career in the
navy when he purchased Mario's Art Shop in 1962.  At that time,
Mario's was an art repair shop but Sid's growing interest in
conservation led to its transformation into a reputable conservation
lab by the late 1960's.  Sid was among those conservators giving
early valuable feedback to the makers of Epotek and Hextyl in their
effort to create modern epoxies suitable for conservation.  Sid was
a Fellow in the AIC and a lifetime member of the Washington
Conservation Guild in recognition of his contributions to the
Washington area conservation community.  He was a recipient of the
Sheldon and Caroline Keck Award for his record of excellence in the
education and training of conservation professionals.  Sid gave
valuable training and work experience to many people entering the
field.  Most are now scattered across the country at major museums
and laboratories.

It is the desire of the Washington Conservation Guild to recognize
Sid's contributions to the field, particularly in the areas of
education and training.  We are soliciting donations toward a fund
that will be used to offer Washington, DC, area interns and students
free membership in the WCG.  Depending on the size of the donations,
we hope to offer these new conservators other benefits in terms of
training and support.  It is our hope that the many conservators in
this country who have trained under Sid or remember him as a friend
and colleague will be interested in contributing to this fund.

Please send all checks, payable to the Washington Conservation
Guild, to:

    Sidney Williston Memorial Fund
    c/o The Washington Conservation Guild
    PO Box 23364